Friday, June 10, 2016

God's Surprises -- Part Three: Everyone, Meet David

Again, first be sure you have read Part 1 and Part 2.

For those who haven't already, I'd like you to meet David...

--

Hi, everyone, my name is David Scott. It is such a blessing to be able to have this opportunity to share a bit about me, and how I’ve come to know Evelyn and her family. I just moved to BC from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, right after finishing getting my Red Seal as an Electrician. Evelyn and I met online, which was a way I was not expecting to find someone with the spiritual maturity that I was looking for.

Up until a few months before we were matched in January, I had been struggling with completely trusting God. But thankfully I was able to do so, with the help of my family whom I truly love and respect. Because of some of my past experiences, I knew what I wanted to look for in a future relationship. Most importantly the woman I would marry had to have a genuine love for God and His Word. Also important was that she had to share my theology, nearly exactly. And if you know my theology then you would agree with me that it’s rare to find someone who does.

 So what caught my attention about Evelyn’s profile was the fact that she listened to lots of sermons from John MacArthur and shared a lot of his views, which is the same person that I listened to most and also shared the same views. Then after going over the rest of her profile and seeing how Christ-centered she spoke, I decided to give her a shot. After messaging back a few times and discovering more about her and her theology, I was amazed that there was someone out there who shared my theology and doctrine so perfectly.

The next thing that I noticed about her profile was that she was a widow. At first I wasn’t sure what to think about that, but decided to see if I could learn more about it. After some fairly long messages and some even longer chats over the phone, I started to get a grasp of what it was like for her and what she has gone through. She even pointed me to this blog, of which I proceeded to read the whole thing in a fairly short period of time. Understanding more of her story, I became more comfortable about the idea of possibly getting into a relationship with Evelyn. But I still needed more time to get to know her and learn more about who she is. After spending countless hours on the phone with her every week, it had become apparent to me that this is something that, God willing, I can see myself being a part of.

I had some doubts about how things would be when I met her and the kids in person, which I got to do at the end of February when I took some vacation time off work and drove down to visit. Meeting Evelyn and her kids made all my doubts go away. Evelyn and I had a great connection, and the kids seemed to get attached to me pretty quickly. I kind of feel like a movie star with all the attention her kids give me. Every time I come over and the kids see me through the window, I can hear them shout my name, “Mr. Scott!” and rush to the door to greet me. My relationship with Evelyn has only grown closer since, while maintaining the boundaries that we’ve set for ourselves.

You might be wondering how I can be okay with hearing so much about Daniel, and having Evelyn share her memories and experiences she had with Daniel with me. It's really simple actually – I know that Daniel was a brother in Christ, and because of that I have the utmost respect for him. I know that he loved Evelyn, Josiah, and Kezia right to the end. I want to honour him as much as I can by learning from him, and how I can be a good husband like he was.


At first it was difficult for me to think about what it will be like to enter into a family that is already started. But thanks to the Word of God and the knowledge of what Christ has done for me, this seems to be what God has been preparing me for.

1 comment:

  1. Woww what a beautiful testimony Mr. Scott! Evelyn is a wonderful person who love God in magnifique way and her testimony talk about who she is in Christ.May God be in between both of you and bless you .
    .

    ReplyDelete