Monday, June 16, 2014

Fundraiser, reflections, and update

From Daniel:

I keep praying that God would heal me and that I would be able to talk again. God is in control and I will keep trusting Him no matter what happens.


It was so good to see so many people come out to the fundraiser; it was so encouraging. There were so many people who came and lots whom I didn't expect -- people I knew from many years ago, boys club members, long past Ranch staff I worked with and some who were on staff when I was a camper. As I looked around the room my mind was flooded with so many good memories. I have much to be thankful for.


The afternoon of the fundraiser, Evelyn took care of our kids and home all day and let me rest so I could have the energy for the evening. So in the evening I was feeling a little better than normal. It was so nice to have our kids there and to be cared for by someone (thanks, Megan!). This gave Evelyn a chance to relax and enjoy the evening and talk with people.


It is a big challenge not being able to talk (I can make unintelligible sounds but even that causes me pain). I deal with loneliness with not being able to talk. People tend to ignore me. I also don't have the social interaction from work. I miss being able to tell my wife and kids I love them. Not being able to talk is very hard.


A care group from my church gave me a tablet to help me talk and it got a lot of use that night. So thanks again for your gift. It was so good to connect and talk/type with so many friends and friends from the past as well as people who I don't know who came because they care. There were people who came on behalf of others. It seemed unbelievable to have so much support, encouragement and people praying for us. Craig did a great job as emcee.


Bringing glory to God is what I want and if that means pain now then I need to trust God through the pain. I need to continue to trust God for the future. I am so going to miss being at Timberline when summer camp starts. I have to keep trusting God and that He is in control. This does not make sense. Each day is a new day to trust and take another step. 


There are times I pray for strength to do the simplest of things. I am living in a whole different way. My hope is in God and there is a time I can look forward to with no sickness or pain. But I am praying that God would let me be the father and husband I want to be here and now. I'm praying that God would give me my voice and energy back.


I am thankful for the years I have had use of my voice and talents. They are all from Him. He gives and takes away and I will bless the Lord no matter what happens.



From Evelyn:


Saturday's fundraiser was indeed so very encouraging and uplifting. To see around 200 people come and show their support and friendship was amazing. Family from out of town, friends from so many places, and even some people whom we hadn't yet met who came on behalf of friends who couldn't come, or who came because they wanted to stand with us. Wow. We feel so blessed to see the family of God unite and show us love so tangibly. 


Not only was everyone being there so special (and we realize many couldn't make it, and that's okay!), but the funds raised are also such an encouragement and tangible evidence of God providing (the unofficial amount we've heard is 9-10k!). Absolutely amazing. As I said that evening, it's our prayer that we wouldn't have to use it, that God would heal Daniel, that we would be able to donate it to Timberline where God could use it to reach kids for Christ. But all the same, it is so wonderful to know we have it if we need it!!! 


Thank you so very much to those businesses and individuals who were so generous (there were 103 silent auction items!), and to the many friends and family who have given us gifts before the fundraiser too! You all have been very successful in making us feel loved and cared for! We wish we could write individual thank you notes for all of your wonderfully generous gifts! We pray God would bless you all for how you've blessed us.



As for an update, Daniel is actually at his lowest weight we've seen. The chemo is causing a loss of appetite and his stomach to be unsettled. Even with the anti-nausea meds (which have helped), he's still not able to maintain his weight, let alone gain any. This is very concerning. Losing a few pounds a week  is not sustainable. 


I mentioned this to the nurse at chemo this afternoon and asked her to call Dr. Uhlman. We added another med to Daniel's "catalogue" to help with stimulating the digestive system which also acts against nausea in a different way. Please pray it is effective. We have another check-up with Dr. Uhlman on Friday.


In the meantime, Daniel and I have been invited for a short getaway to Stillwood Camp near Cultus Lake. Daniel has known the Food Service Manager and Executive Director there for years. The kids will stay with my parents, and we'll get to stay a few days in one of Stillwood's cottages with all meals being delivered! They'll make everything special for Daniel too. Wow, we're so looking forward to this. Between not having to prepare meals, care for the kids, and keep the house running, I'm going to have so much time to relax!!! It will be a wonderful time for Daniel and I to connect. 


Certainly a big praise is that we were already approved for the CPP disability benefit. What is supposed to take four months to process only took a week! We don't yet know the details, but basically when EI stops at 15 weeks after the first day of disability, CPP kicks in shortly after. Of course, again, we're hoping we won't need it, but it is wonderful to know if we do need it we'll have that portion of Daniel's regular income to make everyone's generosity go much further. 


We continue to pray for full healing and restoration of Daniel's strength and energy. We have a mighty and able God! Thank you for continuing to stand with us. 




A few photos from the fundraiser:








Some of the wonderful people who made the event happen (thank you to Loly for the snapshots!):







There were many others who helped. Thank you to all of you!!! May God bless you for your service!








No comments:

Post a Comment