Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Moving Day and Memories

Well, I should probably be doing more packing, but while David's at his men's Bible study, I thought I would post an update on how things are going. Yes, we move to Chilliwack in three days!

Having only gotten back from our wonderful honeymoon two and a half weeks ago, it's been a whirlwind! Between arranging movers, renting packing crates, switching utilities, applying for a legal name change, finishing the home schooling year, packing, doing all the legwork for the financial and legal sides of the sale and purchase, and still being a mom to two great kids and a new wife to an amazing husband -- yeah, it's been crazy!

The hardest part seems to be over as of today, with just a few details remaining before we get the keys in a few days. I think now I can finally start to get excited -- it's hard when there's so much work looming before me (even with all of David's help packing, which has been such a blessing!).

But God has certainly provided, as He is so good at doing! Though this transition and the time frame have been challenging, we are so thankful for how God has and is preparing our path. Not only has He provided this home for this past season, but He is providing a wonderful new home for our family to enjoy, a church we are so excited about serving in, and many wonderful new friends (and even close "old" friends who are moving to Chilliwack now too to buy a larger house and attend the same church!).

I was reflecting to David about our upcoming move and what it means to me. As we were driving around Maple Ridge on some errands, it occurred to me in a new way that moving to Chilliwack would be a fresh start. It's not that Maple Ridge holds bad memories for me -- not at all. My memories of this town are many and varied, but overall very positive. Maple Ridge held a special place in Daniel's heart because that's where Timberline is. I grew to love this place too and the many friends I have here.

Living here, however, is emotionally taxing. No, I'm certainly not running away from my past. It's just that, given my history, Maple Ridge is full of triggers. Taking the same route towards the hospital that I drove one to three times a day for seven months, driving past the funeral home, seeing the sign to the cemetery -- and generally being blindsided by grief when I am not prepared, over and over again. That's been hard. And even the many, many good memories have turned bittersweet.

So, I think moving to a new city (and it's so new I'll still be using my GPS to get around for the first while), will be a wonderful way in which David and I can start building our own life together. Maple Ridge will remain special because it will represent my relationship with Daniel. And hopefully with time, the bittersweet aspect will be transformed to a settled sombre sweetness. And Chilliwack, I hope, will grow to represent this new season that God has so graciously provided.

And I do need to add that David has been, oh, so understanding. He has been patient with me during those triggers and bouts of grief, and has sought to comfort me and serve me. I am so thankful for him, and for how God has provided a husband who is not only devoted to me and the kids, but to learning how to serve God more by providing for our needs as a husband and father in a very specific situation.

And so, the countdown continues. I need to return to my packing, but I just want to end this post with something final to reflect on. Change and transition are happening to each and every one of you reading this. Some are small; some are big. Some are good changes; some are incredibly difficult and life-changing. But one thing remains the same: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Heb. 13:8). Our trust in Him will never -- no, never -- be disappointed. Seek God's will and His desires as your first priority, and He will make your paths straight. No, they won't necessarily be easy, but the paths He leads us on will always do one thing -- bring Him glory, for He and He alone deserves it. Amen.

"Okay, kids, look at your mom!"

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to Chilliwack Evelyn and David. We've only recently gotten to know you, but we're very happy to have you here and to be a part of your new church family. Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Evelyn I weep with you and rejoice with you. Praying blessings over you in this move. And thank-you for your final thought - timely reminder for me. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. santa monica moving services

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it. Really very useful tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep up the good works. fischervanlines.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! Movers in Dubai

    ReplyDelete