Friday, May 23, 2014

Change in chemo protocol

We met with Dr. Uhlman again today (another long day at the hospital taking care of a lot of details). Based on the fact that Daniel's tongue is so much more swollen again (and even worse) and the pain has increased, Dr. Uhlman wants to change the chemo plan. 

Instead of doing a big round of chemo once a month, she wants to do a small dose once a week. Daniel had been feeling an improvement a week or so after the last chemo round started. But now not so much. So, she doesn't want to wait as long between doses, she wants to make the doses smaller, and then see how he reacts to that. Plus, she only wants to use the Cisplatin this time instead of both that and the 5-FU -- less side effects and to see which one is working or if she needs to try a different drug. 

The plan had been to have to go in Sun-Fri for appointments every day next week, but now it's just the next few Mondays. This is a big help for family life! Plus, Daniel doesn't need a PICC line or have that "baby bottle" infuser device attached to him for five days. 

So please pray that the new protocol will yield good results, answers, and noticeable improvements without side effects. 

I was invited out to dinner with several young moms/ladies from church. It was nice to have a non-health related evening to look forward to. I was pretty tired from the long day, but it was very nice to be out and enjoy good food without having any responsibilities. 

The burden of the responsibility of my family's care weighs heavily on me these days. I keep working to remind myself that I need to rely upon and trust in God. I keep going back to the Psalms and letting the words wash over me, and hopefully letting the Spirit change me. It's emotionally hard work -- confronting my worries, fears, and doubts -- battling the what if's with God's truth. 

Thank you for your faithful, persistent, and bold prayers from humble hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment