Friday, April 18, 2014

Daniel's perspective

I'm staying in the hospital until at least Tuesday, maybe longer. I miss my family so much. I am thankful for cell phones; my family is just a text or call away, and Evelyn and I can continue to pray together every day. 

On Tuesday at 9am I'm getting my G tube put in (feeding tube next to my bellybutton). Pray that I will continue to be able to eat very well through my mouth until then and regain lots of healthy weight. I'm thankful I am still allowed to eat food with my mouth when I have a G tube. This way I will only use the G tube to make sure I'm getting enough to eat (e.g. let's say during treatment I can only eat 1/3 of the cal. I need; then I put the remaining 2/3 of the cal. I need in through the G tube). In between treatment I may not need to use the G tube (yay for home made food). 

Pray that I can achieve the following six big goals I have. I call them my fight plan: pray, read my Bible, sleep, eat, exercise, and call for more pain meds. Then repeat in any order. 

The purpose of these goals is that I would be preparing for the upcoming battle. I will need to be physically, spiritually, and emotionally strong. God is my strength now in the preparation and will be my strength in the battle. My trust, hope and dependence is in the sovereign God who is amazing and trustworthy. He is my refuge and strength. 

No matter how this turns out, it is all about God's glory. 

Many people are already being affected by my having cancer. When Jesse Goerzen was diagnosed with cancer it changed me and I think helped prepare me as I prayed for him. God is good and at work and I am thankful for that. I don't need to know more than that. I trust Him. He's got it all covered. 

I was outside before dinner doing 25 minutes of light exercise on a great patio here. I wanted to film a little video to show how nice it is and I almost got attacked from above by a flying Canada goose. Even though I saw a Canada goose sitting on her nest in the flower bed, I did not see it coming. It was good that my IV poll was in between us. He was protecting Mama Canada goose and eggs. He did a great job. If I were him I'd do the same thing. 

Protecting and caring for one's family is so important to me, and it means so much to me and my wife that God is bringing people to come alongside us to help meet our needs including prayer, prepared meals, gas gift cards, babysitting, money, etc.

We are grateful to an amazing God who is using you in our lives. This so isn't just about us. We have been so encouraged as we hear story after story of how God is using my having cancer to change other's hearts and lives.

To God be all the glory!


Protective daddy:

5 comments:

  1. Hello Stringy
    Just to let you know we are following your blog and praying for you. You are in my heart often.
    offer my house as a home away from home if you ever need it. I will just give you a key.
    It might be helpful at some point if you are waiting in between treatments or if your children are visiting and need a break from the hospital. Also if I can pick anything up for you or drop anything off, maybe food, just let me know. if you are up for visitors, I would like to stop by but if not that's ok too.
    That Canada goose nests there every year and regularly fends off unsuspecting patients and visitors:) Much love and prayers from my family to yours, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sentence disappeared (should have edited!) I am at ARH often with my students and live close to ARH so I can offer you my house .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gos, it's great to hear from you, if you available come out tonight between 5 and 630pm. It would be nice to see you.

      Delete
  3. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers daily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting Dan Opportunity #1: If you want to come and visit me, then come tonight Saturday, April 19, 2014 between 5 and 6:30. Please remember I'm weak and don't stay to long. Email me: danielrempel17@gmail.com for my room number and so I know how many I should expect.

    ReplyDelete