Friday, April 25, 2014

Prayer: more answers and requests

Update from Daniel: 


I have great news to praise God about!!! ...as well as good stuff to pray for. Thank you for your prayers and for sharing this blog with others who would be interested in joining us in prayer. May God’s will be done and may He be glorified! 
 
I’ve had months of very bad headaches – migraines really. The doctor sent me for a CT scan this morning to check for cancer in my brain. My scan results are in and there is no cancer in my brain! The very bad headaches I get are from my tongue pain, just like we had always thought. So as we get better at controlling the tongue pain the headache pain will follow.


The PICC line we thought that was going in today will go in Saturday or Sunday.


Round 1 of chemo will start this Monday where I will be taking on the cancer from two different angles with two tried and tested drugs. Each round will last 4 days and then depending on my health I should be going home for 3 weeks, maybe 4 weeks, depending on blood tests. Then round 2 of chemo. 
 
Learning this today was all new to me and I may have heard it before but this time I understood. So here is a simplified chemo schedule to help people like me:
 
4 days round 1 chemo
3 to 4 week break
4 days round 2 chemo
3 to 4 week break
4 days round 3 chemo
3 to 4 week break
Etc. 
 
During the break I’ll be at home! Chemo could be commuting in each day or being an inpatient and staying the 4 days. 
 
I need to gain as much weight and get as healthy as I can by Monday. Please pray for the ability to eat lots orally, that the G tube would continue to settle in (I have been having trouble sleeping, as I think my body is getting used to eating all night long), and the opportunities and ability to sleep a lot and restfully. Please continue to pray for adequate pain management as it’s a continuing battle.

 

 

Update from Evelyn:

 

God continues to be faithful! Over the past few days, I have noticed a distinct comfort that I can only attribute to God – thank you for praying! Thank you also to all of you who have helped us out in so many ways. Your service is such a help and an encouragement!

 

The kids and I are doing okay, though we miss “Daddy” so much. I’m taking the kids for another visit tomorrow. Josiah is acting out more than usual, and without Daddy at home to back me up, my almost four-year-old is seeing what he can get away with. Sometimes I just have so little energy. Please pray that I’ll become better at being patient, yet firm, and to know what battles to pick. Kezia is missing daddy too. She sometimes spends all of a meal-time screaming, which is very unlike her. Daddy has always helped out when he’s home with feeding her, so I think she misses that.

 

I’m keeping busy taking care of so many details regarding home, EI, various parts of healthcare, research, and the kids. There is a lot on my plate, so please pray for discernment to know what needs to get done and when.

 

Yesterday evening, I got to spend at another of MRBC’s RealWomen events. I so appreciated all the hugs and hearing how so many are praying for us. To hear how our circumstances – and how this blog – are encouraging others in their hard times uplifts me and causes me to give all the glory to God. I shared with my discussion group something God has been teaching me:

 

Suffering has three purposes:

- It’s for the maturing of the individual(s) so that they will become more like Christ, and be more effective for His purposes.

- It’s for the edification and maturing of the Church, acting as the Body of Christ, being given an opportunity to see God at work.

-It’s for the building of God’s Kingdom, as those who don’t know Christ personally see God at work in His people and choose to put their trust in Him as well.

 

In all these ways, God is glorified. That is why we write this blog – to take our responsibility seriously to invite others to see God at work, and to encourage others to allow ourselves to be changed by persistent, consistent prayer as our wills are conformed to God’s. Is God changing you as you journey with us?

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that you are starting treatment soon! I am praying that you gain weight Daniel. That is definitely a new prayer for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn - do have have room in your freezer for more soup? And or baby food? - (MRBC member)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting a little more room for baby food, but as Daniel isn't home yet to eat the soup, we still have lots. I'll put out a request on the blog when we're needing more.

      Thank you SO much for checking in!!

      Delete